Friday, October 28, 2005

Reflections on turning 23

Yesterday was my birthday - its always quite weird having a birthday just after you've moved somewhere, but I had a happy day being sung at by small children, being given lots of chocolate and receiving loads of text messages and phonecalls from lovely friends (who I miss a lot). So now I'm 23 - storming into the mid-20s - how weird. If I were still in Brighton I think I'd be feeling over the hill by now, but here I think all of my friends are older than me, so I stil feel like the baby. The weirdest thing is 22 years ago doctors didn't think I was gonna survive at all. I had cancer in my eyes. I've seen some of the correspondance that went on betweeen doctors at the time and they always seemed to be referring to me as an 'unfortuanate child' - if I survive I'd have either one of both of my eyes removed. However, I was prayed for in the name of Jesus and came through a course of radiotherapy still alive and with both eyes in tact, something that just doesn't happen with my eye condition. I'm so thanful to God for giving me these 23 years of life, I don't want to take any day fo r granted. I don't know how long I have to live on this Earth, but I do want to live each day for God and to his glory. I'm saying this knowing that actually quite often I don't appreciate every day, I'm not excited about getting up in the morning and living for God. But I should be, looking back over my life I can see so much to be thankful to God for, above all the fact he sent his Son to die for me so that I can have a relationship with him that goes on forever. How amazing! There are so many people on this planet who don't know about hte amazing relationship they can have with Jesus. I do, and I want to spend the days God's given me here telling people about it. Lord, help me break through my apathy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home